Register to receive newsletters and other goodies. Register»
Topic Options
#451873 - 02/24/13 01:11 AM New to DTX and forum
oldguy1 Offline
Newcomer

I'll jump right in and warn everyone I am 57 years old and my wife just surprised me with a DTX520 set. I had a junk set of acoustic drums way back in high school and have long wished I could get another set.
I am amazed at how real these things sound. But I'm not real happy with the high hat set-up. Maybe it's me but I'm looking at the unit that mounts on an actual stand as I think it would solve the issues I'm having with the pedal activation.
Can anyone offer suggestions on that unit or tips to tune the one I have?
Thanks in advance!

#451893 - 02/25/13 10:28 PM Re: New to DTX and forum [Re: oldguy1]
TomTom Offline
DTX Jedi
Guru

Loc: New York
Welcome oldguy1! You are never too old for rock and roll, but we will consider ourselves warned! grin

Your instinct about the real hi-hat pad (RHH135) that mounts to a real hi-hat stand (HS650A) is correct, it is a nice step-up. However, until you are ready to upgrade (at which time your current hi-hat will then become a crash 2) let's focus on what you have.

The fixed-height hi-hat on the DTX520K is the PCY100 pad, and it plays best when clamped down very tightly to the attachment. This is different than the PCY100 for crash1, which plays best when it can sway naturally.

Before mounting the pad to the attachment, check the CUP on/off switch underneath. For the PCY100 as a hi-hat, you can turn off the cup (bell) zone, because there are only edge and bow voices for hi-hat on DTX500.

First you should properly install the black cymbal stopper with a drum key, placing it so that the stopper post is "in-line" with the cymbal stand tilter, and positioning it vertically where the collar meets the stopper. Next, mount the plastic sleeve with the thinner felt (it will touch the bottom of the PCY100). Then use the thick felt on top, tightening the wing-nut down all the way. The felt might become frayed, in which case use a standard washer from your local hardware store between the top felt and wing-nut.

Hope this helps! Keep on rockin'!!!

#451911 - 02/27/13 09:03 PM Re: New to DTX and forum [Re: TomTom]
oldguy1 Offline
Newcomer

Thanks for the reply TomTom.
I had the felts bass-ackwards from the way you recommended.
It made a difference after I switched them around.
I had it snug but not real tight before and I've corrected that too.
Having another crash would be nice. One more reason to upgrade!
But that leads to the next problem, where would it plug in? I assume the same jack as the current crash but with a Y-Cable as shown in the manual?

#451934 - 03/02/13 06:10 PM Re: New to DTX and forum [Re: oldguy1]
TomTom Offline
DTX Jedi
Guru

Loc: New York
You can connect the extra crash to the PAD IN jack on the front of the KP65 kick pad. This becomes "pad9" and is preset to be a cymbal on all the preset kits (you can set it to whatever cymbal or other sound you want for the user kits).

This extra crash will be single-zone, non-choking, so ask your dealer to order you the PCY90AT, which includes the cymbal pad, attachment and cable.

You can still expand further on down the line by splitting the inputs for the toms. This will give you pad10, 11, 12. All mono (single-zone) inputs that can be assigned to play any voice you like in the user kits.

Enjoy!

#451936 - 03/03/13 03:44 AM Re: New to DTX and forum [Re: TomTom]
oldguy1 Offline
Newcomer

Rather than the PCY90AT, can I not use the PCY100 currently used as the high-hat by flipping the switch on the bottom of it and moving the cable to the kick module jack?
BTW, I've already ordered the RHH135 and HS-740A stand. grin