Register to receive newsletters and other goodies. Register»
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#434653 - 05/23/09 02:15 AM Re: Upgrade DTXpress II to DTXpress IV or DTXTREME
CaTaPulT Offline
Guru

Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Also here is the information regarding adding extra pads as mentioned above.......

The three Tom ports can support 2 single zone pads each by splitting the ports, this is done with a special Y-adapter cable like the Hosa YPP-117. This cable splits the port so a extra single zone pad can be added to each Tom port, so that's a extra 3 pads that can be added. Also the Kick pad has it's own built in splitter since the kick port can be split as well, look at the front of the kick pad, there's a "input" port there, you can plug a single zone pad there as well.
The DTXpress IV special kit already uses the input in front of the Kick pad for the 2nd crash cymbal, the Standard kit doesn't.
The module will assign a default sound to the added pad on each port but this can be changed and saved as a user kit.
The DTXpress IV is a nice module, it has excellent sounds for it's small size and price range, where it's lacking in features (midi in) it makes up for in other areas.
I use both a DTXtreme III and a DTXpress IV on my current kit and the sound quality of the IV are very similar to those on the III, the III just has more features for fine tuning those sounds and more feature for doing other things.
Personaly, if I had to get a full DTXpress IV kit as my primary kit, I would go with the DTXpress IV Special V2, The Special to get the better snare pad, Hihat and extra crash cymbal, the V2 to get the newer Yamaha pads.
For me, it would be worth the bit of extra expense.
Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<

Oh Yeah.... here's my current kit!
all ports on both modules are fully loaded.

#434654 - 05/23/09 03:35 AM Re: Upgrade DTXpress II to DTXpress IV or DTXTREME
sicboy13 Offline
Pro

Loc: midwest, USA
any video of that bad-azz mama-jahamma in action?

#434655 - 05/23/09 01:11 PM Re: Upgrade DTXpress II to DTXpress IV or DTXTREME
CaTaPulT Offline
Guru

Nope, no videos of this kit, my ability of making videos went for a crap when my ATI Radeon 9800 All In Wonder went in the garbage after packing it in!
There is one video out there of my playing my Project WTF kit..... Here's the link.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8575127152067861750
Take care

#434656 - 05/23/09 03:33 PM Re: Upgrade DTXpress II to DTXpress IV or DTXTREME
sicboy13 Offline
Pro

pretty sweet nonetheless!

I have one vid of my playing and need to film more, I am trying to get a youtube/google vid thread going on the boards...

#434657 - 05/23/09 05:06 PM Re: Upgrade DTXpress II to DTXpress IV or DTXTREME
bbdude Offline
Regular

OK Thanks Guru, Graybear, et al,
Looking at Musician's Friend & Sweetwater, they don't appear to be offering the DTXpress IV Special V2 yet, but I'll keep looking around for the best way to do this, including keeping my DTXpress II rack & H/W and upgrading the pads & brain (although that doesn't look to be cost effective at the moment).

Other questions I have:
1. One of the big visual differences I see between the DTXpress IV Standard and Special kits is the Hihat controller. In the Standard kit, the sensor for the pedal is located in the pedal. In the Special kit, the sensor for the pedal is located in the pad. Are there any significant differences in response, ability of the brain to differentiate/integrate the interactions between the 2 hit types (hihat pedal and hihat pad), sound quality, midi, etc, using the separate sensors (as in the Standard kit) or the combined sensors (as in the Special kit)?

2. What are the advancements made in going from the RHH130 to the RHH135 Hihat (in the V2)?

3. Are there any significant advantages to using the USB (available only in the DTXtreme) vs Midi (which I would have to use with the DTXpress brains)?

- The bbdude

#434658 - 05/23/09 07:49 PM Re: Upgrade DTXpress II to DTXpress IV or DTXTREME
sicboy13 Offline
Pro

I bought my DTXpress IV Special V2 from guitarcenter.com in January 09, strangely enought they are back to the NON V2 with the RHH130 Hi hat? Strange!

#434659 - 05/24/09 07:15 PM Re: Upgrade DTXpress II to DTXpress IV or DTXTREME
bbdude Offline
Regular

Still another question:
4. Looking at the incremental upgrade (from DTX2 to DTX4) process again. If I buy a DTXpress IV brain from Musicians Friend, for $500, can I continue to operate with my current pads (1 TP65S, 4 TP65, 1 HH65, 2 PCY65S, 1 PCY65, 1 KP65)? It looks like the only difference between the DTX2 and the DTX4 Std pad set is the cymbal pads (PCY130SC on the DTX4). Would the DTXpress IV brain be compatible with the older PCY65 pads? Also, is there any difference in the DTXpress IV brain used for V2 vs. pre V2 (ie any firmware upgrades, etc needed to support use of the PCY155 and RHH135 in the V2)? I just want to be sure, before I go spend $500 on a new brain that it will be compatible with the latest V2 pads, if I eventually upgrade the pads too.

Thanks,
The bbdude

#434660 - 05/25/09 02:00 AM Re: Upgrade DTXpress II to DTXpress IV or DTXTREME
CaTaPulT Offline
Guru

Hi Bbdude.
The pad set you have now will work well with the DTXpress IV, if you look at my kit picture above, my DTXpress IV is running all my TP-65 and PCY-65 and 65s pads and it's working flawlessly. The only thing you'll have to do is go into the trigger menu of the module and set the pad types for what you have plugged into each port and save that triggger set. As for the DTXpress IV brain itself, as far as I know, there hasn't been any firmware updates and the module is the same one between all kit models.
Take care

#434661 - 05/25/09 03:41 PM Re: Upgrade DTXpress II to DTXpress IV or DTXTREME
bbdude Offline
Regular

Hey Jack -- thanks again,
Right now I'm torn between doing the incremental upgrade of my DTXpress II to IV or forking over the big buck$ for the DTXtreme III. One comment I've seen in other forums is that DTXtreme III is better for recording via midi, due to its low latency USB. Have you has had a chance to compare the midi latency of the DTXpress IV to the DTXtreme III ?

- The bbdude

#434662 - 05/26/09 02:33 AM Re: Upgrade DTXpress II to DTXpress IV or DTXTREME
CaTaPulT Offline
Guru

Hi Bbdude.
Sorry, I can't be of any help on this one, I don't use midi or have any real use for it so I have no idea about the latencies or how well midi behaves on either modules.
I do know the DTXtreme III will record better in audio format due to it's many built in (adjustable) filters like the compressor and such. The other matter of the DTXtreme III is better pads, mounting hardware and if the DTXtreme III Special, the famous Hex rack (I bought the standard, didn't need the hex rack! ).
Take care

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  keyfax, TomTom, Tones