Register to receive newsletters and other goodies. Register»
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#398127 - 05/18/08 08:02 PM Standard or Typical percussion setup
mrbvdrummer31 Offline
Regular

Our church is about to start a new Wednesday night service geared towards young adults and young families. We are going to be adding percussion set up to our worship band for that service addition to our sunday morning service. I will be the one playing percussion. We are going to selling our churches one of our electronic drumsets to purchase a percussion set up. My worship leader wants me to pick out the set up since he doesn't really know what to get. He does want a set of congas and windchimes, my question is what does typical/standard percussion setup consist of. We do a lot of Hillsong, Hillsong United, Passion, Matt Redman music. Can any christian drummers or percussionist help me out here. I think the Yamaha electronic drumset that we are going sell will get us $700 - 800 to work with in buying a percussion set up for our worship band. Any advice or suggestion is greatly apperciated. Thanks.

#398128 - 05/18/08 08:49 PM Re: Standard or Typical percussion setup
dannyman Offline
Guru

Loc: Palmdale, CA
Well, idk if those bands really use congas... I'd sort of think you'd want a regular drumset to appeal to younger audiences. But, if you guys have your heart set on a percussion setup, I'd go for some bongos and congas first, then you can add some ethnic percussion, I think there's something called a Cajon or something... Good luck.

#398129 - 05/19/08 04:17 PM Re: Standard or Typical percussion setup
mrbvdrummer31 Offline
Regular

Thanks Dannyman, for your comment, We already have a guy playing drumset we are just adding an aux. percussion setup to the worship band.

#398130 - 05/22/08 05:33 AM Re: Standard or Typical percussion setup
jjg_dup1 Offline
Experienced

Loc: Riverbank, CA.
What about a Roland SPD-S. Besides it's sampling ability, there's a lot of percussion sounds in it. I use one with my worship team. You can have it play loops or just play the pads (9 pads to trigger). It's quite compact too. You can probably find a used one for $350-385.

#398131 - 05/22/08 07:28 AM Re: Standard or Typical percussion setup
dannyman Offline
Guru

Loc: Palmdale, CA
Yeah, jjg, makes a good point, that there are electronic percussion devices designed for that sort of thing. While I'm not a Roland fan, the unit sounds interesting. I know Yamaha makes quite a few drum pads, here's a link to check them out: http://www.yamaha.com/drums/drumpads.html?CTID=5040589&CNTYP=PRODUCT Good luck.

#398132 - 05/22/08 01:29 PM Re: Standard or Typical percussion setup
mrbvdrummer31 Offline
Regular

my worship leader DOES NOT WANT electronic percussion he wants all acoustic percussion. I too believe that SPD-S, Handsonic, or and electronic percussion is the way to go but I have get what will please and what the worship leader wants, and that is acoustic percussion.

#398133 - 05/29/08 10:11 PM Re: Standard or Typical percussion setup
yamahammer Offline
Guru

Loc: Yamaha USA
You could do the gig with a pair of Congas, a pair of Bongos, a cowbell, LP Jam Block, Tambourine, a couple of cymbals on stands, an Afuche Cabasa, and an assortment of shakers. That will cover pretty much any contemporary Christian song.

#446202 - 07/23/10 05:24 PM Re: Standard or Typical percussion setup [Re: yamahammer]
DrummrsAnonymous Offline
Newcomer

Loc: Charleston, WV
Shame about the no electronics stipulation, but those with the money make the rules. I just got a Multi12 myself and have already been impressed with the auxiliary percussion options on it. Will the aux perc need to have mics? Will those need to be included in the budget?

Some sound advice here already. Whatever route you go, I'd recommend not skimping on quality to get more instruments. A good quinto and conga set will likely be in the $500-600 range new. I have a conga and tumba from the LP Matador line and am happy with them, but I wish I had the smaller quinto instead of the tumba. Meinl and Toca make some quality instruments too.

Wind chimes are a standby ballad-filler and sounds like a must for you already. I didn't like my old LP set much at all, but I got a new Tree Works set and enjoy them. From there, a tambourine, some blocks and bells, and a shaker or two will probably round out your budget. Don't forget mounts for everything. Most companies make handheld tambourines that fit into a holder so you can play it either way; I'd highly recommend those.

A set of bongos would be nice, but I think you'll already be stretching your budget. A djembe would be something else to consider down the road. They're very versatile with booming lows. Cajons are nice (love mine), but they tend to be very drum set-like. One would make a nice alternative to a set for a low-volume song.

#542334 - 12/05/14 12:39 PM Re: Standard or Typical percussion setup [Re: DrummrsAnonymous]
sara736 Offline
Newcomer

So how is playing on the rubber pads? Part of my reason for posiibly switching to Yamaha is the 3-zones available on the tp100 and tp120sd. Even the new cymbals are 3-zone.

#761508 - 08/01/18 03:26 AM Re: Standard or Typical percussion setup [Re: sara736]
chenlina Offline
Guru

2018801 leilei3915
ugg boots
oakley sunglasses wholesale
adidas yeezy boost
coach outlet
oakley sunglasses wholesale
coach factory outlet
fred perry shirts
canada goose jackets
air max 2017