Register to receive newsletters and other goodies. Register»
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#384249 - 02/16/08 04:22 AM What ekits are Worship drummers using
jjg_dup1 Offline
Experienced

Loc: Riverbank, CA.
Hello all,
Curious as to what ekits you are using for your Worship services. Even if it's other than Yamaha, I would like to know. I currently use a Roland TD-12 at church and am considering the DTXtreme III.

#384250 - 02/16/08 11:31 PM Re: What ekits are Worship drummers using
JoeMcc Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Seattle Area
I use an Extreme IIs. I had also brought in a TD-20 for a while and the youth group asked me to bring back the Yamaha. I too am wanting to possibly try the extreme III. Im not sure if I will buy the III kit or just the module. I wouldn't hesitate buying the new extreme III if they had reworked the shells and went back to wood. The older ladies hate the look of my yami pads and ask me to move it off the stage for funerals and such. When I had my Maple shelled DIY TD-20 based kit they actually let them stay.

So here I am...wondering if I should buy the extreme III and try to DIY some pads or re-shell the TP pads. Maybe i might just upgrade the module only..... at this point I dont know.

JoeMcc

#384251 - 02/17/08 12:44 AM Re: What ekits are Worship drummers using
jjg_dup1 Offline
Experienced

So how is playing on the rubber pads? Part of my reason for posiibly switching to Yamaha is the 3-zones available on the tp100 and tp120sd. Even the new cymbals are 3-zone.

#384252 - 02/17/08 10:55 PM Re: What ekits are Worship drummers using
SolaScriptura139 Offline
Regular

Loc: Morgantown, WV
Right now I'm using a DTXPress IV Standard with an added TP-65 tom and an added PCY130. I'm looking into upgrades for the future, including the new RHH-135 hi-hat and the hex-rack from the DTXTreme III special. I'd also like to update my snare to a TP-120SD.

#384253 - 02/18/08 01:32 AM Re: What ekits are Worship drummers using
JoeMcc Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Seattle Area
I have to admit I like the mesh pads....but... when you hit the edge of the yamaha pads... you get what you ask for. For example trying to get a little louder crossstick sound on the mesh pad can give you quite a suprise in the middle of worship when you get a nice loud crack from a rim shot instead. Or the time I had a chime on the rim of Tom1 on my TD-20 and I got a very nice tom shot instead. Did anyone notice? I dunno.... but it sure wasnt what I asked for. On the yamaha pads... you get what you ask for as long as you hit it.

All and all... i like the mesh a little better for daily practice and I loved the look of my DIY maple pads. Mesh is a little easier on the hands and quieter...but the rubber pads on the Yamaha extreme kits are still very good pads and do feel great (IMHO just dont look great). BTW....I have not tried the small rubber pads that come on the express kits though.

Im not sure if I answered your question about how the yamai pads feel. The best thing is to find a kit and try it out.

JoeMcc

Edited by JoeMcc (02/18/08 01:35 AM)

#384254 - 02/18/08 03:27 AM Re: What ekits are Worship drummers using
CaTaPulT Offline
Guru

Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'm not a worship drummer but I do have all the pads talked about above on my kit.
I do like mesh for the reason Joe gave, they are easier on the hands, also you can get them in larger sizes than the Yamaha pads. The Yamaha rubber pads are of great quality, the TP120sd (snare) and the TP-100 (toms) are all 3 zones as mentioned, I find they are more responsive than mesh, they can pick up very fast rolls where mesh will often misstrigger, they also seem to pick up better on the velocity of your stick hits but I think this has to do with the Yamaha modules more than the pads themselves.
The smaller TP-65s (3 zone) and TP-65 (single zone) which come with the Xpress and Xplorer kits are good but I find their surfaces too small as main kit pads, they are great for extra pads, their feel is just a little different than the TP-120sd and TP-100, different playing surface, but they too are very responsive.
My best way of describing Yamaha rubber pads is that their surface is about 50% harder than a good quality rubber practice pad.
I hope this helps.
Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<

#384255 - 02/18/08 03:57 AM Re: What ekits are Worship drummers using
dannyman Offline
Guru

Loc: Palmdale, CA
A dtxpress... which was discontinued quite some time ago. The smaller rubber pads work well, maybe not as sensitive as the more expensive ones, but they have also been beaten to death on this particular kit, so that may have more to do with it . The weird thing about this kit is that the sample volumes vary quite drastically, so setting up kits so the volume is equal is quite annoying. However, the quality of the samples are good, there just aren't very many that tickle my fancy. I'm actually using the third tom pad as the crash cymbal, since the original died a while back; this works better than one might think.

And the pads... I really can't imagine any drummer who plays any technical or fast material not loathing the trampoline (I mean mesh) heads which mistrigger, have far too much rebound, and miss hits altogether. But they have their place, in the hands of someone with arthritis, carpal tunnel, or some other like ailment . Yamaha pads do rebound more than real drumheads: not enough to be unrealistic, but enough to facilitate cheating on your rolls .

#384256 - 02/18/08 04:44 AM Re: What ekits are Worship drummers using
jjg_dup1 Offline
Experienced

Thanks guys for filling me in on the various pads and ekits. I appreciate it since my local dealer doesn't care for Yamaha ekits as I see it. So I depend on those who are actually using them for gigging or Worship playing. One thing I have noticed is that even through my Imacs speakers, the Yamaha ekits sound more realistic strait out of the module. My TD12 needs a lot of tweaking before it sounds descent. Now as to whether I can justify a DTXreme III or get a DTxpress IV. I only play for worship services.

#384257 - 02/18/08 06:31 AM Re: What ekits are Worship drummers using
dannyman Offline
Guru

Loc: Palmdale, CA
Yamaha uses actual samples, while Roland doesn't, which is why the Yamaha samples don't sound digital. I would spring for the dtsxtreme III (or even a used dtxtreme IIs, which you could probably find for a great price) over the dtxpress IV, only because of the layering capabilities: the IV only lets you layer one extra sample per trigger (correct me if I'm wrong), while the III has practically infinite layering (the IIs has 6, which is more than enough). The bottom line is: Yamaha is cheaper and better than Roland for the serious drummer interested in sound quality, but Roland has its advantages, namely a more newbie friendly module (but the III may have made improvements in that area). I've never liked Rokand products, so take my advice for whatever it's worth. Oh, and from my observations I'd say Yamaha products seem to be a bit more durable. Happy hunting. I recommend trying to buy a IIs off the forum here.

#384258 - 03/13/08 08:53 PM Re: What ekits are Worship drummers using
funky drummer Offline
Newcomer

I have played in church for 20 years or so, and switched to a dtxtreme lls a year ago, mainly to increase my oportunity to practice. Aside from the usual sceptics, "it doesn't look like real drums", the variety of kits is superb. My only issue is trusting PA guys to mix the sound well and enough volume on stage to drive the rest of the band. We'll get there one day, as long as Jesus doesn't return before then!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  mLANman, TomTom, Tones, yamahammer