Register to receive newsletters and other goodies. Register»
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#188226 - 07/26/05 11:21 PM Re: Worship Drumming
drumdad Offline
Regular

Loc: Reading, PA.
Thanks, Joe!! I think we have a pretty good set of speakers to put them through. I told our Sound Tech that, when we do get the kit, I want to take Sunday afternoon to put them together and sound check them. We have our practices on Thursday nights. So, that should give us plenty of time to get answers to potential questions from Sunday afternoon to Thursday night. I think this forum will actually be a FASTER means of getting the answers we need!! There are alot of people, like you, who are familiar with the hardware and the procedures for getting it up and running. And you've probably already gone through the headaches that we'll experience!! Thanks again, Joe!! I'll keep you posted as to when we get them, and what happens. Leroy.

#188227 - 08/03/05 05:39 PM Re: Worship Drumming
sarnie Offline
Regular

..your sound eng is ganna love u, he only needs 1 or maybe 2 if u want stero for your outputs upto his desk.. then send u a feed back via a monitor channel...if this can be seperate to every1 else's in the music grp, all the better as he can set things up just as u like it....ie that recorder (read any other instrument) player u just dont wanna hear.

problem i had is i wanted to be able to adjust some of the mix, especially the drums in my own monitor without effecting the overall sound. so this is how i run my monitoring system. probally not the best way, but its all i can think of at the moment.

i run a feed from the output on the kits brain to an input on a 'Behringer eurorack mixer' these r pretty cheap to buy - i use a UB502 the smallest, but if u wanna spend more and get more go ahead.
i take a feed from the mixing desk/monitor to the input on the UB502 - make sure u dont have any drums on this mix or u will loop the drum sound and feed back badly.
i then run an output from the UB502 to the mixing desk. i have set the main output volume at about half, and taped this down so i dont accidently up it, which will up the drum volume out front!!!!
what this all means is, the sound guys get my feed, which they mix for outfront....i get a monitor feed of all the other instruments (NO DRUMS) i can up this volume anyway i want via the UB502 volume and because i have fed the kit into an input i can then mix the drum volume into this mix at any volume i wish without it effecting anything else..and as i like the volume loud, probably louder than the congregation and the mixing guys, i plug 'decent' headphones in the headphone socket on the UB502, and live in my own little world!!!!

#188228 - 08/04/05 09:58 AM Re: Worship Drumming
drumdad Offline
Regular

Loc: Reading, PA.
That sounds like an awesome monitor setup. I'll print this out and give it to our sound guy. Not sure if he would have a mixer. Since it's taking so long to get the money approved for this, I'm afraid of asking for more to get a mixer. Our Sound Man will be interested in this setup. Thanks for the tip. Take care!! Leroy.

#188229 - 08/04/05 02:36 PM Re: Worship Drumming
sarnie Offline
Regular

..the UB502 is about 30 quid over here, say $50 dollars, i bought it myself so that i can use the same setup when playing gigs with the band im in...take it out or count it as part of your Church giving..

God bless

steve

#188230 - 08/22/05 02:02 PM Re: Worship Drumming
TribalHeartBeat Offline
Newcomer

Worship Drumming.

Im a newbiew to the site but not a newbie to drums.

Well lets separate a few things here to discuss.

Secular Drumming - Although this is what'the world' does, this can still be done unto God, since the Bible tells us to do all things unto Gods glory. Check our Greg Bissonette - a born again drummer, Ive never heard of him drumming in Church though.

Drumming in a Worship Team - This is different, yes, as someone said - that the drummer takes a backseat - I think that is not necessarilly the case. The drummer must be 'under' the worship leader - having a good relationship and be submissive. Knowing when to sit back and keep time and knowing when to be more creative - this takes self control and usually experience and discernment of the Holy Spirit. I used to think like this ' I dont want to be a distraction, and SHOW OFF, after all its about God'. Since then I have matured, do you think God cares if all the drummers in the world know how to do single handed buzz stroke roles? Not a chance - worship comes from the Heart. However if God has given you the talent to be skillful, mature and humble in what you do - and you dont do to the best of your ability - then I dont think thats pleasing to God either, afterall We are made to glorify him.

This leads me to the last chategory, and the one I strive for and want other younger drummers to aim for.

Be a Worshipping Drummer - I know countless musicians, never midn drummers - who lay in Church, but dont 'Worship'. Don't be scared to try new things, or to even make mistakes, most people dont notice anyway. God doesn't mind mistakes. Be confident in what God had gifted you to do. I know the Holy Spirit has had me do things - that the 'drummer' within me says - this sounds naff, but the spirit man within me - knows that the Lord is doing something in the hearts and minds of people.

Sonically the drums are a powerful intrument, when you are young to the drums - sitting behind a kit inffornt of people is one of the most self conscious things to do. I used to be very timid on the drums, but as I matured as a Christian and as a drummer - I learned to control the dynamics of the drums - rousing tempo's and simple bass drumms pattern on the 1 and 4 beats. There are more elements to Worshiping behind the drums than say playig in a pub(see my first point though). Its not about performance EVER. if it is to you - then your missing out.

Leading worship in a conegregation is a serious responsibility so remember Glorify God, watch for pride, dont worry about mistakes, be expressive but controlled, be submissive to Church Leadership and Glorify the Lord.

#188231 - 08/31/05 04:06 AM Re: Worship Drumming
sprouse4 Offline
Newcomer

Hello, I have been a drummer for eight years and had lots drum sets. I purchased a DTXPRESS111 drum set and have no clue what settings to use in church what would you say, thanks,

#188232 - 08/31/05 10:29 AM Re: Worship Drumming
TribalHeartBeat Offline
Newcomer

If you mean by settings for 'sound' info - I would talk to your sound team if you have one and see what works for your venue.

I havent got my kit yet but I am awaiting delivery.

As for if you mean sounds as in noises. It depends on the song and how you do worship.
I also have a handsonic which I use in some worship songs. I am used to flowing from one into the other - so I normally chose a voice that is generic and will fit - the song, the volume and what other intruments are there, no use sounding like something else, bring something else to the party. For certain tunes , i sit and listen to whats going on, in practices or sound checks and if you are familiar with your equipment you go - oh that blues kit would go excellently. I dont have my electric kit as of yet, but I think a rule I will adopt is not to have a different for every different song - there needs to be continuity and only on set ones will I differ. Im speaking from the experience of my hand sonic here. Like at Christmas time when we do carols - I normally delve into using tympani sounds. Cymbals I have found are dissapoinitng in my handsonic, but cause I have it all together - I usually keep my stick on my lap and play what suits.

#188233 - 08/31/05 12:52 PM Re: Worship Drumming
sprouse4 Offline
Newcomer

thanks, I'll see what works thanks a million godbless!!!!!!

#188234 - 07/16/06 01:02 AM Re: Worship Drumming
robertmar Offline
Newcomer

It is probable the Aviom System. It it totally cool. Not enough room to explain it hear but it has helped us clean up our stage noise considerably. Definitly worth looking into..

http://www.aviom.com/dspSolutionsPersonalMixersOverview.cfm?cat=MonitorMixing&sec=Solutions

#188235 - 11/15/06 08:09 PM Re: Worship Drumming
SEA Offline
Enthusiast

In reply to:

I think with contemporary worship drumming the drummer has to be willing to take more of a back-seat role than in the secular world. Where in the secular world the drummer can be in the spotlight, in the contemporary worship setting that we do the drummer is more in the background.

The drummer in a contemporary worship setting has to be willing to give up the attention and be able to finesse the song to give it just the right amount of percussion without intruding into it.

The main thing is to be lead of the Lord in how you play

Drums are great for warfare and I have played with anointed drummers who know when to open up and when to lay back.

My main instrument is piano/keys and when the Spirit plays through me... that's what breaks the yokes!

Praise HIM!
SEA

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  mLANman, TomTom, Tones, yamahammer