Register to receive newsletters and other goodies. Register»
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#188216 - 06/13/05 11:07 PM Re: Worship Drumming
JoeMcc Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Seattle Area
We use personal monitors and headphones

Any problems with the low end? It's the only complaint I have with the personal monitors. My church just bought us a couple of the roland CM-30s.

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--ROLCM30

I love how i can mount them to a mic stand and adjust the volume. They just cant reproduce the kick. I'm ok with it but the other members like to feel it. Maybe we could try a butt kicker mounted to the bottom of the stage.

http://www.thebuttkicker.com/

JoeMcc

Edited by JoeMcc (06/13/05 11:09 PM)

#188217 - 06/15/05 11:09 PM Re: Worship Drumming
Stix Offline
Experienced

Joe: I am not having any problem with the low-end. I don't know the brand, but we use a small, personal mixer that allows me to control the volume for about 12 different channels, and their relationships to one another. I have a channel for drums, bass, piano, keyboard, etc., plus microphones used for choir, solo's and orchestra. At first the bottom-end was lacking, but I bought a good set of headphones from Guitar Center that solved the problem. I do my own mixing - heavy on drums and bass. All of our "rhythm" instruments (drums, bass, piano, and keyboard) are hooked into this system and utilize headphones.

#188218 - 06/15/05 11:18 PM Re: Worship Drumming
JoeMcc Offline
Enthusiast

Stix...

I was thinking of doing something similar. I wonder how well this will work. WE have issues with other events going on in the same building and they mess with our mixer. Also our sound guy is a kid and hes not real good with the board. So...I was thinking about mixing at the stage and sending him a single feed for the instruments. He could still mix the voices up stairs. but at least our monitors would have what we need. The monitor mix is where we really struggle.

Right now each instrument goes straight to the board....then we get one of 2 channels off the monitor bus. If hes not paying attn....which is often..i may go 2 songs with way too much guitar and no bass in my monitor.

What you guys think? What is an ideal setup. It seams there is a DVD in the yamaha store about setting up sound????

Joe Mcc

#188219 - 06/16/05 04:47 PM Re: Worship Drumming
Stix Offline
Experienced

You're way over my head with the mixing stuff. I beleive our instrument mixing is separate from the main sound board. The board mixes the output for all instruments and mike's. I think our headphones are independent from the sound board. Does that sound reasonable? If not, I can find out more and let you know.

#188220 - 06/16/05 05:09 PM Re: Worship Drumming
JoeMcc Offline
Enthusiast

Stix,

Yeah I would like to know how your getting the sounds seperate from the feed to the mixer. So you are monitoring before the mixer? We are the oposite....the board feeds us a monitor out and I hate it. Be nice to get everything set to what we like and not change it unless it needs it. Then send it to the mixer.

JoeMcc

#188221 - 06/23/05 04:37 PM Re: Worship Drumming
JoeMcc Offline
Enthusiast

BTW....

Just ordered Kefax's DVD on exploring live sound...

http://tinyurl.com/djd25

Hope it's good...i see it touches churches too.

JoeMcc

#188222 - 07/26/05 02:08 PM Re: Worship Drumming
drumdad Offline
Regular

Loc: Reading, PA.
G'day!!! I've been playing on our Worship Team for about 6 years. In that time, I've managed to drive everyone crazy!!! We are in the process of getting approval for an e-kit. I'm looking at the DTX IIS, because of the size. It comes closest to the acoustic kit I'm playing now. As far as a difference in playing a secular gig vs. in a worship atmosphere...I think you can get caught up in the "spirit" of the song in both instances. (Obviously, the "spirit" differs between secular and worship music.) I'm at a point where I feel I can worship more when I'm behind the kit playing, than when I'm in the congregation!!

#188223 - 07/26/05 05:31 PM Re: Worship Drumming
Stix Offline
Experienced

You will love the e-kit!

#188224 - 07/26/05 06:02 PM Re: Worship Drumming
drumdad Offline
Regular

Loc: Reading, PA.
I'm really anxious about this kit. I got to briefly play it at a Sam Ash music store. It feels good. Everyone that I spoke to said that the pads would be like a practice pad. They didn't feel like that at all. We're waiting for our church to approve the purchase of it.

#188225 - 07/26/05 08:42 PM Re: Worship Drumming
JoeMcc Offline
Enthusiast

You AND the congregation will like the E-drums. The down side is you have to have a sound system that can handle it. We use Yamaha S115s. They do alright for our small building. Someday I hope we can get some subs :P

Joe Mcc

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  mLANman, TomTom, Tones, yamahammer