Register to receive newsletters and other goodies. Register»
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#183456 - 06/27/06 12:39 AM Re: MUTE FUNCTIONS
drumdad Offline
Regular

Loc: Reading, PA.
Hello. Not sure if this pertains to the mute function or not. Our church just purchased the DTXTREME IIS about a month ago. The kit is great...EXCEPT for the ride cymbal!! When I first play it, it sounds like a ride cymbal should. Then halfway into our set, it sounds like the "choke" setting. I don't change my playing. And, I have the ridge part of the ride facing me. Also, the bell is not affected...it still play the vell voice. Actually, I'm kinda hard on this set! (It will take some time to get used to hitting rubber instead of metal cymbals!!) Can someone give me some guidance as to what settings I need to check on to fix this? I've tried to understand what some of the setting do in the manual. But, I'm a people-person. I would rather have someone explain the way this works.

Thanks,
Leroy Latshaw

#183457 - 07/22/06 05:16 AM Tutorial wav > aif >DTXtreme IIs Part 1
Moon_Shdw Offline
Guru

Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
CaTaPulT wrote:

Hi all.
This will be a multi message instructional manual for using .wav files as samples with the DTXtreme IIs.
The first part will be about getting the .wav file to the proper format and then converted to .aif.
The second message will contain instructions to get the wav into the DTXtreme IIs and being able to load and play the samples.

So here we go, Part 1
You will need 2 peices of free software.....
1) Tiny Wave Editor (by Yamaha) Attached to this message (see bottom of message for details on attached file)
2) Audacity (free sound recording and editing software) (can be downloaded at http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ )

Now, once you have found a .wav file you like, open TinyWaveEditor, open file, find the wav file you want and single left click it, look at the bottom of the grey box and the file info should be there, you're only interested in the first line which should look something like this......
11025Hz/8bit/Mono/No Loop/Wav
Now this information is valuable, since this wav file won't work on the module, the 8bit part needs to be 16bit.
So now we want to convert this file to 16bit Mono, click open to load the wav file into the program.
Now you should see the waveform of the sound file, at the top of the program, click file, convert bit size, make sure that
8 bit >>>>> 16 bit is chosen, click OK. You just converted the file from 8bit to 16 bit!
Now we want to save that file as a aif file, here's how........
Click file at the top, click format conversion, wav -> aif should be chosen and click OK.
Now click on file, save as, and give it a name like this........
01Mtest.aif
The 01 is the file order that will be displayed in the DTXtreme IIs
The M means it will be controled by the Misc slider on the DTXtreme IIs
The TEST is just the filename, in total, the filename cannot be more than 8 characters followed by the .aif extender.
And that's it, you've just converted a wav file to DTXtreme IIs friendly sample.

Houston we have a problem.......
If you get this error when try to load a .wav file into the TinyWaveEditor........
"Audio data error - cannot open this file" (also, the file info as described above will not show)
This means this is a badly formatted .wav file, have no fear, there's a way to fix that.
Now fire up Audacity that free sound recording and editing software.
Go to file, open, locate the problem wav file and load it.
Once it's loaded and you see the waveform of the file.
Click on file, Export as Wav, and click save.
There, your wav should be fixed.
Now go back to the TinyWaveEditor and load the file as listed above and correct the bit rate and save as a aif file.

I am attaching a zip file to this message.
The zip file contains the TinyWaveEditor program (in a zip) and 2 wave files, one is a good file but 8bit, the other is a bad file, and also a copy of this message in txt format (notepad).
This way you can practice what is listed above.

Stay tuned for message number 2 where we'll get the finished aif files loaded and set to pads in the DTXtreme IIs.
Take care.

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<

It's kinda like having alzheimer, I can't remember the last time I remembered something

Attachments
270139-sampling1.zip (627 downloads)

#183458 - 07/22/06 05:20 AM Re: Tutorial wav > aif >DTXtreme IIs Part 2
Moon_Shdw Offline
Guru

Wav to aif to DTXtreme IIs Part 2

Okay, now that we have our wav files converted to aif, it's time to get them to our trusty ole DTXtreme IIs module.
For now, I would recommend you stick with naming your aif files as I described in part one.
So let's say you have 3 aif files you converted, call them.......
01Mtest1.aif
02Mtest2.aif
03Mtest3.aif
Now, take your Smartmedia card out of the DTXtreme IIs and connect it to the card reader on your computer.
Now copy the .aif files from your hard drive to the following folder on the Smartmedia card......
Yamaha/dtxtreme/autoload
Verify that the .aif files made it there and then click the disconnect icon to safely remove the Smartmedia card from the reader.
Take the card and off to the DTXtreme we go.
Make sure the power to the DTXtreme IIs is turned off, insert the Smartmedia card and then turn on the module, pay close attention to the

LCD display on the module as you turn the module on, it should display the .aif files being loaded. If this doesn't happen, something

might be wrong.
Once the DTXtreme IIs module has finished loading the samples (aif files).... Make sure you have the Misc slider on the module turned up

so you'll be able to hear the sounds once you set them to a pad.
I would suggest you use a empty user kit to experiment with this so you don't mess up your favorite user kit!!!!
For this example, I'll program the samples to the bottom rims of tom one.
Hit the voice button on the module.
Hit the bottom rim on tom-1 (this should show what sound is programed to that rim)
Use the 2nd dial, turn it until "Type" displays "Wave"
Once you have this done, (and if you named the files like I listed) 01Mtest1 should appear under the "Voice" parameter.
Use the 3rd dial to choose the sample you want to that rim.
Hit the pad, you should hear your sample
Chances are it won't sound right, Adjust the vollume (4th dial) and adjust the tuning (5th dial) to +0.00 (chances are is at -3.00 or

somethinglike that making the sound of the sample sound low pitched.)
Once you are done, hit the rim again making sure the sound works when that rim is struck.
Then save the sample to that user kit by pressing Store, yes, yes.
Congratulations, you've just started your new journey into using samples with your DTXtreme IIs.
Enjoy!!!
Take care.

It's kinda like having alzheimer, I can't remember the last time I remembered something

#183459 - 07/22/06 05:23 AM Re: Tutorial wav > aif >DTXtreme IIs Part 3
Moon_Shdw Offline
Guru

As posted in another thread.....
Here's a example of using sampling, I did this real quick so please excuse the sad drumming! hehehe
MP3 file attached.
Take care

Attachments
270141-wavexperiment.mp3 (783 downloads)

#183460 - 07/22/06 05:29 AM PCmidi - USB - DTXtreme IIs, a tutorial
Moon_Shdw Offline
Guru

CaTaPulT wrote:

Playing midi files on a Computer to DTXtreme IIs via a USB cable
----------------------------------------------------------------

This is a handy way of listening and playing midi files without using up the limited space in the DTXtreme IIs memory and or having to use the SmartMedia card. This way is direct from the computer to the DTXtreme IIs.
First off, let's learn a little something about midi file formats, there are 2, midi-0 and midi-1 and here's a very brief description of each.
Midi 0: Single Track with multiple channels
Midi 1: Logical tracks with single channel per track

The DTXtreme IIs is Midi-0 friendly if you want to load the midi file into the module's memory, or play it from the SmartMedia card, thus a midi-1 file format has to be converted to midi-0 file format.
But when playing from a computer via usb port, it seems the module plays both midi-0 and midi-1 files with no problems.

Let's get started.
-----------------

First thing you have to do is setup the USB drivers for your DTXtreme IIs so the computer will see it as a device.
These drivers are on the CDrom that came with your DTXtreme IIs and also a leaflet manual on how to install them.
I will talk about using this with windows XP.
Turn on your computer, wait for windows to be finished loading, then plug in a standard UBS cable (can be bought at any electronic shop or computer store) into the computer and then into the USB port in the back of the DTXtreme IIs.
Turn on your module, Windows will come up with a usb device detected screen. Go to the part that lets you specify the location of the drivers, and tell it to look at your CDrom drive, now click on usbdrv2k_ (the driver for windows 2000 and XP) and click ok, a screen will appear saying that this is not a microsoft approved driver, click continue and your driver should install. Once it's finished installing, you will be prompted for a reboot, do so now.
Congratulations, you've just installed the Yamaha USB to midi driver!

Playing midis, gotta get software
---------------------------------

Now that the driver is installed, I bet you want to be able to use it, this is where we need some midi software, the one I've chosen for this tutorial is very small, not many features in the freeware version of it but it does 2 things we need.
It plays midi files and it can convert midi-1 to midi-0 in case you want to experiment with dumping midi files to SmartMedia card or to the modules internal memory but for that, you'll have to read the module's manual to figure it out.
The program name is called GN1:0 Freeware.
This little program doesn't need to be installed, place the gn1to0.exe file in a folder, create a shortcut to your desktop and double click the shortcut to start the program.
Once the software is up and running, you have to configure it to play through the DTXtreme IIs instead of the PC soundcard, here's how.

At the top, click on Settings and then click on midi output, select YAMAHA USB OUT 0-1 (this is the driver you installed a while ago).
That's it, the software is now configured.
Now, I bet you want to try playing a midi file through the DTXtreme IIs, here's how......
At the top, click file, click open (or just click the little folder icon in the icon bar) and browse to where you have stored your midi files, double click on the midi file of your choice.
A little window will open describing the midi file attributes, midi 0 or midi 1, time the song plays for and so on.
Now to play the song, in the icon bar, there's a little icon of piano keys, that's the play button or you can choose at the very top.... Player and click play. Now your midi file should start playing through your DTXtreme IIs.
The preset drum kit may change when starting to play a new song, most GM (General Midi) files will select Kit=P74 (GM std 1), but it may be different, it depends on how the midi file was created by it's author.
If you want to do a midi-1 to midi-0 file conversion, load in a midi-1 file, it'll say so on the file information window when you load the file (midi version), then at the top click convert and click change midi format then click 0. A second window will appear, this time midi version will say 0, then you can save the file using file-save or save as, this way you will have a midi-0 formatted file in case you need it later for experimentation with the module's internal memory or SmartMedia card.
So there you have it, you can now play midi files from your computer directly to your DTXtreme IIs.

There are many kinds of midi software, most popular being midi sequencers (for writing / editing midi music), There are expensive ones and there are free ones, I will include a link to download a free one. All you have to remember is once you install any midi software, you will have to change the software midi out settings to play through the DTXtreme IIs (YAMAHA USB OUT 0-1).
Attached to this tutorial thread is a zip file with the following........

A copy of this document
A copy of the free software GN1:0 freeware
A folder containing many midi files to try out, some are good, some not so good, you decide!

Link to Music Studio Producer (midi sequencer)
http://www.frieve.com/english/musicstd/download.html
Download Music Studio Producer (it's free) and not Music Studio Independence (it's shareware).

I hope you enjoy this little tutorial and find it useful, enjoy playing midi's through your computer!

Take care all

Attachments
270142-midi USB Tutorial.zip (572 downloads)

#183461 - 08/10/06 01:50 PM Save and Load one user kit on a SmartMedia Card
Moon_Shdw Offline
Guru

CaTaPulT wrote:

Okay, here we go, how to save and load one user kit at a time on a SmartMedia card for the DTXtreme IIs.

SAVING ONE USER KIT
-------------------
Pick a user kit you want to save, let's say U1.
Press the "utility" button
Using the arrow keys, go to UT23 on the display
Turn the 2nd dial till you see "ONEKIT"
Turn the 3rd and 4th dial to give your kit a name
Hit the "YES" button twice
A quick message will appear on the display saying, done.

LOADING ONE USER KIT
--------------------
Choose the user kit U number you want to load to
Hit the "utility" button
Using the arrow keys, go to UT22 on the display
Turn the 2nd dial till you see "ONEKIT"
Turn the 3rd dial till you see the kit-name you just saved (should be the only name if you only saved one kit)
Now hit "YES" twice
A loading message will appear real quick
Now hit your "PLAY" button
You will notice that you user kit's U1 (or whatever number) in the left red LED display has a dot at the lower right corner. This means the kit is in temporary memory only.
Now hit the "STORE" button followed by the "YES" button twice.
Congratulations, you just got your kit back and it'll stay there even when you turn off the module!
Take care

PS: Repeat these steps for each user kits (U1 to U40) you have configured or modified since this only saves one user kit at a time.

#183462 - 08/11/06 04:50 AM Recording a factory song with the sequencer
Moon_Shdw Offline
Guru

Alvis wrote:

Here are the steps to recording a factory song with the sequencer.
There might be other ways, but this is how I do it. It`s easy once you do it a few times.
1. Mute the prerecorded drums with the "RHYTHM INS" button.
2. Turn knob # 2 and select an empty user song U1 to U32
3. Press the song job button, use knob #3 to select your factory song. Press Yes, Yes. The song you selected is now stored as your user song.
4. Press play, and select your kit.
5. Press the red record button, the record light should be on.
6. Set knob #1 to replace
7. Set knob #2 to track 2
8. Press the play/stop button, You should hear a click count, this count will not be on your recording. At the end of the count the song will start. Play with the song and your drums will be recorded on track # 2.
9. Press play/stop button to hear your recorded song.
10.If you don`t like the recording, press song job, scroll down to screen [ song 7 ] clear , use knob #3 to select track # 2. Press Yes, Yes. This will clear track #2 for a new recording.
11. Press play, Repeat steps 5,6,7, and 8.
12. When you get the recording you like, Play the song and use the sliders to mix the drum parts and music the way you want.
13.Use the outputs [ main or headphones] to send your song to your computer recording software.
14. You can return the user song to an emty song. Press song job, go to [ song 2] clear current song, press Yes, Yes
I hope I didn`t miss any steps and this helps . Alvis

#183463 - 12/28/06 02:18 PM Re: Recording a factory song with the sequencer
BobbyMck2 Offline
Guru

Loc: Scotland

www.soundclick.com/bobbymmusic

#183464 - 01/25/07 09:16 PM Re: Useful tidbits to know column
valerie Offline
Regular

I think I am understanding something relating to dynamic response. My problem has been being able to play very soft to very loud, especially on the BD. What I found is that my drums were to "hot". The volume, or gain dial adjusters on the Snare, Toms, Hi Hat and Kick pads were set to high. I brought them down so I have to hit a bit harder to get to 127 on the velocity. (Second trigger function). Then I can set the limiter low around 10 to 20, not up at 50 or above. Below 10 or 20 seems pointless. But I am getting mistriggers in some cases. Is there some setting I can now adjust to get consistent triggers at low volumes?

Also what will adjusting the system gain (low, mid, & high) do here?

#183465 - 04/01/07 12:10 AM Re: Useful tidbits to know column
CaTaPulT Offline
Guru

A quieter RHH130?????? yep!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greetings all.
Well, after playing my Pintech Zenbal Hihat for a few months, I wanted to try my RHH130 again since the Pintech hihat had a few shortcommings I wasn't all too happy with.
I took the old RHH130 out and set it up and started playing, I really missed my Yamaha hihat stand, the spring action is so much softer than my Tama hihat stand and the stick response of the RHH130 was a welcome pleasure, but again, that god aweful hollow "CLUNK" noise was the first thing I noticed, and so did Debbie.
I told myself, there's gotta be a way of quieting down this thing. I took the RHH130 off the hihat stand and went and sat down, I took it apart and started analyzing where the noise was comming from.
I disconnected the top cymbal and held it in the middle and struck it with a stick as hard as I would when playing, I even compared the noise with my PCY-130 and 130s, same sound, no louder, Debbie agreed.
So the noise has to come from the bottom part and all the room down there reverbarating the stick hit with a hollow sound. I started examining the bottom plastic part, this is the part that also has all the working guts in it, so I can't be loading this thing down with foam.
Then I got this idea, hell, it was worth a try.
Well, I am pleased to announce that I have reduced the RHH130 hollow sound by anywhere between 30 to 50 percent, that's pretty significant.
This message thread is about my project and how I did it, there are 6 pictures, there is text in the pictures that describe what is what but I will also write a message and attach the corresponding picture to it.
So hang on to your RHH130, there may be hope yet!
Take care

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  keyfax, TomTom, Tones, yamahammer