Register to receive newsletters and other goodies. Register»
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#183426 - 04/15/05 03:38 PM Useful tidbits to know column
sluggo42 Offline
Regular

I figured out something that most of you probably already know, perhaps you read your manual or something....I just can't seem to take the time to do that, and besides, real men never need to read the manual...right?
Anyways..I was wondering to myself why the drumkit didn't automatically change all the time as I ran through the preset songs. I thought my "brain" was not working right. That's when I figured out that the "drums" button has to be lit up when you change songs to play. If you have the drums turned off, the set will stay in the last setting they were at.
Anyway, if anyone else has something we all need to know, put it here!
Enjoy your toys!!

#183427 - 04/13/05 07:58 PM USING LOCALIZER AND CHANGING VOICES
scorpio69 Offline
Guru

Loc: State of Confusion
And if you build a user kit, you can have a song assigned to it automatically. And don't forget to turn on the "localizer" and store it with your User kit as it is turned off by default. Whenever you use that kit, the localizer (3D virtual drums...through headphones only) will automatically be turned on. You can virtually expand the sound of the drums, the spacing, including left, right, center positioning of each tom, snare, cymbal (voices) to your liking. Very cool.

When you play one of the preset kits. Press voice on the module, tap any pad, rim, cymbal...and the display will show which voice is assigned to it. Turn the knob under voice, assign any other voice to it and "store" it as a new user kit. Don't forget to save your user kits to a Smartmedia card. If you reset your module...you lose all user kits that you've built. And if you should have to reset to defaults...just load your kits back to the module from the Smartmedia card.

-Scorp

BTW Sluggo this is an excellent thread...thanks for starting it....Yamahammer, I think this one would make an excellent sticky...for easy viewing and posting. Thanks!

#183428 - 04/13/05 09:09 PM Backup without SmartMedia card
Fairlight Offline
Experienced

Loc: Québec, Canada
BACKUP WITHOUT SMARTMEDIA CARD
------------------------------

For saving user kits or songs without a SmartMedia card, if your DTXtreme IIs is connected to a computer by MIDI, you can use the "bulk dump" feature in the utility pages of the module. You will also need some software that can receive and send back bulk data, like Sonar.

I recommend MIDI-OX, a small free utility that can also be used to perform MIDI diagnostics on your hardware.
http://www.midiox.com/

Note that the samples will not be saved!! Only the voice assignment, trigger parameters, etc. So if you use user samples, these can only be saved on a SmartMedia card.

MIDI BANKS
----------

In native MIDI mode, the module uses bank 16000 for preset kits and 16001 for user kits, with normal bank select method. This was not explicitly written in the data manual, I had to figure out myself by researching the way bank select works (using MSB and LSB).

Note : I currently have problems sending back bulk data to the module and with the USB MIDI port in general; I'm waiting for input from mLANman regarding these. I post this message anyway because I'm sure the bulk dump works great and that the problems are probably on my end. I will update it when I receive explanations.

#183429 - 04/14/05 08:28 PM COPYING TRIGGERS / KITS
scorpio69 Offline
Guru

From Yamahammer...previous post

Re: Sounds through PA You have two options to copy trigger settings. You can copy a single trigger from one kit to another, or you can copy an entire kit. When I refer to a knob number, they are 1-5, left to right

To copy a single trigger:
Push the TRIGGER button
Page down to Trg Copy 1
Using knob #2 select the input number you want to copy(snare is #1, etc.)
Using knob #3 select the kit you want to copy the trigger to(U1-U40)
Using knob #4 select the input you want the trigger settings copied to. If you are copying a snare from one kit to another, copy from input 1 to input 1.
Push the ENTER/YES button, the screen will ask "Are you sure"?
Push ENTER/YES again

To copy an entire kit start in the kit that you want to copy. This can be any factory or user kit.
Push the TRIGGER button.
Using knob #5, select the kit you want the original kit copied to(U1-U40)
Press ENTER/YES, the screen will say "Are you sure"/
Press ENTER/YES again.

#183430 - 04/15/05 01:11 PM CREATING LOOPS / PAD SONGS
scorpio69 Offline
Guru

From Yamahammer...previous post

1. Creating loops You can record a pattern in the sequencer and then assign it as a padsong. Go to page 4 of the trigger menu and select an input (I would use one of the rim triggers), set the function to Padsong, select your User song and turn the repeat on. Your pattern will start and stop when you hit the trigger that it's assigned to.

2. You can have the loops set up a few ways. You can either set them to start and stop from the same pad or trigger back over themselves to make them more complex. Most of them are two bar loops so if you hit the pad on the first beat of bar one it returns to it's normal loop. You can also start them from one pad and stop them from another by putting two pads in the same Alt. group. You can set them up so that each time you hit the pad the next note of the loop plays. Once you learn how to set them up with these options you can have a lot of fun with them.

#183431 - 04/15/05 01:19 PM MUTE FUNCTIONS
scorpio69 Offline
Guru

From OldGuyDrummer....

Ok, you are probably wondering what "mute" is doing in here, right? "Mute" is used when you have a cymbal pad with a rim switch. You can assign a NOTES to the main pad trigger (Notes 1st-6th) and to the rim1 and rim2 triggers. You can also assign a note to the "mute". Normally when you strike a cymbal first and then grab it second, the cymbal with a rim switch will "choke" the sound off for both the main pad and for the rim switch. The mute sound assignment is for when you hold (choke) the pad first and then strike it.

For those who know about this feature, keep reading, for those that don't, stop reading and go try it on your ride cymbal. Set Note to Mute and assign a Note #. When you hold the cymbal and then strike it the Note # you assigned will be played.

Now for those that knew about it already, did you also know that you could do it on the TP100/120 rims as well !!! When you setup a note for the Mute for the TP120S pad and press down on the rim1 FSR and strike the pad or the rim1 you will get the NOTE assigned to "mute" or if you hold down on rim2 FSR and strike the pad or the rim1, you will get the NOTE that is assigned to the Mute function. If you hold down on rim1 and striker rim2 then the normal sound assigned to rim2 will play, and not the sound assigned to "mute". Now it's you turn to go and try it.. : )

#183432 - 04/15/05 02:16 PM INSTALLING SOUNDS FROM THE CD
scorpio69 Offline
Guru

From OldGuyDrummer....

Here is from a post I made earlier to help in transfer files, it works whether the files come from a CD or you hard drive.

Installing sounds from the CD:

"Here is a quickie to get you started.

1. Start with a blank Smartmedia card. Put it in the Dtxtreme IIS module and format it. (Page 85 - [UT-28]).

2. Put the Cdrom disk in the computer CDrom drive and go to the sub-directory called "SOUNDS". (In my case it is Drive E:)

3. Put the Smartmedia card in the computer Card Reader/Writer and go to the sub-directory called "VOLUME". (In my case it is Drive I:)

4. Now copy the entire sub-directory "KIT_DRM1" from the E:\SOUNDS into the "I:\YAMAHA\DTXTREME\VOLUME" sub-directory.

5. You should now have a sub-directory on the Smartmedia card called:

I:\YAMAHA\DTXTREME\VOLUME\KIT_DRM1

and in that sub-directory should be all the *.DAT files 01 through 14 and the livekit1.OKT file.

6. Remove the Smartmedia card from the Computers card reader/writer and insert it in the Dtxtreme IIS module.

7. Scroll down to the Utility page [UT22] CARD. Using the second dial knob from the left scroll through until you see "VOLUME" and magically you will now see the kit that you just loaded onto the Smartmedia card called "KIT_DRM1". If you had transferred more sub-directories, you would use the middle knob to scroll through the kits on the Smartmedia cards. The green LED light by the ENTER/YES button should be flashing. Press the ENTER/YES button twice. The kit is now loaded into memory.

8. If you want to save the kit to a Userkit, before you load the kit from the Smartmedia card scroll through the kit menu until you get to the UserKit number [U1] for example (any emtpy kit number will work, don't overwrite an existing Userkit). Go through step 7 above to load the kit. Once it is loaded into memory, Press the PLAY button and the kit you just loaded will be set as the current kit, namely, "LIVEKIT1". Press the STORE button. Press the ENTER/YES button twice and the sample kit from the Cdrom is now loaded as a Userkit.

from mLANman...

There are basically 2 types of kit in the IIs: Program Based Kits and Sample Based Kits.

Program Based Kits use the exisiting sounds in the IIs, so they don't take up much room at all. These are usally a few Kb each.

Sample Based Kits can use any combination of the built-in sounds and extra WAV or AIFF files. So these would be larger than the Program kits.

The IIs can old hold up to 8 MB of sample data in the brain (but as much as you can fit on the sm card). So each Sample kit would be the size of the kit data (which sounds, which pads etc.) plus the amount of sample data.

As an example, the first drum kit on the IIs cd is about 7.5 MB, and it’s a sample kit.

#183433 - 04/15/05 02:29 PM USING FOOTSWITCH
scorpio69 Offline
Guru

From Yamahammer...

The footswitch function only works when you are using a chain of User kits. The reason is that you can't save changes to a factory kit and the FS function is part of the kit settings. If you want to set up a chain of factory kits and go thru them with a footswitch, save the kits you want as user kits, then set up the chain. Go to UTILITY page 7 and turn the increment on, then go to the TRIGGER menu page FootSw1 and set the function to inc.

#183434 - 04/15/05 02:43 PM UNDERSTANDING MIDI FILES
scorpio69 Offline
Guru

From Perhas....

MIDI files do not contain sounds, but commands and instructions to a sound module. A MIDI instruction tells the sound module to play the sounds asigned to a MIDI channel and to play a specific note, at a specific volume (called velocity). It is thus the MIDI sound module that creates the sound. My computer responds to MIDI commands, but its rather simple MIDI sound module cannot recreate the sounds of the DTXtreme or any other professional MIDI unit.
Genral MIDI is an additional standard that specifies what instruments are typically assigned to each channel. Drums are typically assigned to MIDI channel 10. By ignoring any commands sent to MIDI channel 10, drums are effectivly removed from a MIDI song. In the DTXtreme IIs there is a button for this function, but it will only work with MIDI songs. MIDI songs are arrangements of MIDI commands to as many channels as the song arrangement require, but limited to the 16 available MIDI channels.

A sound file is a recording of the actual sounds and playing it back will reproduce the sounds as they are, just like a CD record will reproduce the sounds that were put there by the producer. To remove the drums from such a recording is possible, but requires laborous work with very advanced sound processing algorithms. It cannot be done in the DTXtreme IIS sound module.

MIDI songs are available for download from an incredible amount of enthusiastic people around the world. Almost any song can be found! What is so great about MIDI is that you can adjust the tempo and change the sounds assigned to each channel, say if you just hate that cheezy synth sound and rather want a grand piano sound! MIDI is a little hard to comprehend at first, but once you understand the basics, it becomes very simple and MIDI is an incredible source for fun and possibilities!

More on MIDI from mLANman......

On the DOX page there is a URL for a program to put on the computer to change wav and or other music files to suit the format of the DTX. It says to click on "A3000" but I don't see that anywhere. Has anyone actually found that program?

Yes. It's called Tiny Wave Editor (TWE) and can be downloaded here:

http://www.yamahasynth.com/download/twe.html

Secondly, I heard there was suposed to be a way to record known songs, play them thru the DTX, and take out the drum track. Also there was something about downloading songs that didn't have the drum track. Details were scetchy,but I figured it would be worth asking about. Anyone know about that?

Yes this can be done. But it only applies to MIDI files. The DTXIIs can read MIDI files directly off of a SM card. However they need to be TYPE 0 files. You just have to put them in the root of your card and the DTXIIs will see them. Then push the DRUMS button to mute the drum parts, just like on the DTXIIs demos.

#183435 - 04/15/05 02:50 PM LOUD INSTRUMENTS AND ELECTRONIC DRUMS
scorpio69 Offline
Guru

Yamahammer & Tony V.

This information was provided by our good friend and Yamaha Artist Tony Verderosa. Check this site at the Get Xcited link for the dates and times of his upcoming clinics. He's on the road right now blowing people's minds with the new kit.

< Basically, is it the nature of electronic drums to have loud
instruments sometimes cancel out the triggers, therefore hitting the pad
and hearing no response? >>

Jim,

The optimal setting is achieved by adjusting the small black slider on each
TP100. Make sure this setting is not on Max. Try and back that off a bit.....to
maybe just above the minimum......perhaps 20 - 30% of max setting. You should
play a sound while adjusting this knob - adjust so you can no longer trigger
a sound, then bump it up slightly.

More importantly, for high volume situations, be sure to set the rejection
parameters to 30 - 60ms depending on the volume level. Minimum Velocity settings
below 10 or 20% might also be an issue.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  keyfax, TomTom, Tones, yamahammer